Shastri Research Grant (SRG) 2013-2014(CLOSED)
The Shastri Indo Canadian Institute is pleased to announce a Call for Applications for Shastri Research Grant (SRG) 2013-14 for its Canadian and Indian Member Institutions.
Objective of SRG project is to support collaborative research initiatives between Indian and Canadian institutions entailing mobility as well as capacity building of scholars/researchers between India-Canada.
SRG is a bi-national research initiative to support research collaborations.The research theme will build on issues concerning Social Sciences subjects (i.e., anthropology, communications studies, economics, education, human geography, history, law, linguistics, political science, public administration, psychology, sociology, humanities, cultural studies), STEM subjects (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) including food security and sustainable development; water resource management; gender and health, bi-lateral trade and investment; energy and environment; securing future of children and youth and higher education-mobility.
Up to CAD$ 10,000/per project. (Any contributions from the applicants’ institutions are encouraged).
Number of Awards:
6 (six) – One project per participating institution.
3.5 months (1 Feb –15 May 2014)
- Proposed SRG projects must involve a bi-national research initiative in any of the fields mentioned above.
- Faculty members/academics/researchers of Canadian and Indian member institutions are eligible to apply for this grant.
- Either applicant, from India or Canada, can be the lead applicant. They may submit only one application (whether they are the lead institution or not).
- In addition to the two main applicants (lead and co applicant), SRG project proposals should include students/young researchers (at least 1 from India and 1 from Canada) in the SRG research team to work in the projects.
Eligible Projects / Expenses
- Eligible expenses: international and local travel, accommodation and related costs, salary or stipends for student research assistants, cost of equipment and supplies, rental of equipment, communication, copying, printing costs, organizational support costs, and translation. Travel expenses may either be for Canadians going to India or for Indians coming to Canada.
- Eligible expenses cannot include any institutional overhead costs.
- At the end of each project, the participants will be expected to report on how they expanded the totality of the funds invested in the project and, as requested, to provide proof of expenditure.
- Projects that consist mainly of holding seminars, workshops or conferences will not be accepted.
- A completed application form.
- The application should contain a short project description (maximum 2,000 words) covering the following information: 1) Nature of the proposed research and rationale; 2) Description of the project’s research objectives; 3) Research Methodology and the results that can be anticipated during the proposed 3.5 months project period; 3) General description of the activities that will be undertaken as part of the proposed project.
- Curriculum Vitae of both lead and co-applicants (not more than 4 pages)
- A budget breakdown (summery form) showing the description of eligible expenses to execute the project.
- Identification of the contact persons in each institution.
- Applications sent to a different email address will not be considered.
An adjudicating committee will make the final decision concerning successful applicants based upon the clarity of areas described in the project proposal mentioned above.
Disbursement of Funds:
Subject to availability of funding, 75% of the grant will be disbursed upon approval of grant request and remaining 25% to be released by 31st May 2014 upon acceptance of the project completion report.
*The project completion report to be submitted to the Institute on or before May 15, 2014. *
- Applications should be submitted by email.
- Late and incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Name of successful applicants will be displayed on Shastri Institute’s website (http://www.sici.org/home/) by end of January 2014.
Please note that the Institute takes no responsibility for missing applications or materials in mail, by post, electronic or via courier.
For more information, please contact the Calgary office:
Print this page
Program and Member Relations Officer
Shastri Indo Canadian Institute
Education Tower 1402
2500 University Dr NW
Calgary AB T2N 1N4
Phone: (403) 220-3220
Fax: (403) 289-0100