Shastri Scholar Travel Subsidy Grant (SSTSG) 2016-17 (CLOSED)
The Shastri Indo Canadian Institute is pleased to announce a Call for Applications for Shastri Scholar Travel Subsidy Grant (SSTSG) 2016-17 for the scholars of its Canadian Member Institutions. SSTSG assists faculty members including graduate and post graduate students with travel subsidies to participate in conferences, workshops, seminars and academic meetings in India or Canada with a view to establishing institutional and scholarly linkages.
The objectives of SSTSG projects are to promote the mobility of scholars between India and Canada, to initiate or strengthen Canada-India knowledge exchange and partnerships, which support education cooperation between the two countries.
- The Shastri Institute will provide up to CAD$1,000 to support the scholar’s international air fare (economy class).
- Associated costs related to visas, meals, per diem and accommodation are not eligible under this grant.*
Number of Awards:
The SSTSG award must be fully utilized between 15 November 2016 – 30 September 2017.
- Applicant must be a member of SICI’s Canadian Members Council (CMC) Institution (in good standing in 2016-17). While the SSTSG applicant must be a Canadian scholar, if selected, the SSTSG fund may be used either for the Canadian scholar’s own travel to India or to bring an Indian faculty or student in his/her Canadian campus/event.
- Grants can be used for Canadian scholars for travel to India and Indian scholars for travel to Canada.
- Applicants must have been invited to participate by an academic institution and be affiliated with, or travelling to a Shastri Institute member institution. For a current list of member institutions please click here: (http://www.sici.org/about/members/).
- Applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of India or Canada.
- Curriculum Vitae (not more than three pages) of the lead Canadian applicant and of the Indian scholar (where the SSTSG will be used for visiting of an Indian scholar to Canada);
- Letter of invitation from the host institution/organization;
- Proof of residency or citizenship of India or Canada (Copy of Passport or Permanent Resident Card). This document to be submitted for the lead Canadian applicant and for Indian scholar (where the SSTSG will be used for visiting of an Indian scholar to Canada).
An adjudicating committee will make the final decision concerning successful applicants based upon the following criteria and marking system:
1. Institution/Event (4 points)
- Is the applicant going to or coming from a SICI member institution in India?
- Does the proposed event carry a significant weight in terms of scholarly inputs, rankings (i.e., type of the event, scholarly presence, participants attending, etc.)?
2. Contribution to own development and potential institutional linkages (4 points)
- How far the proposed event has likelihood to contribute to applicant’s own development (scholarly and other)?
- How far the proposed event has likelihood to contribute to any potential institutional linkages between the applicant’s host and visiting institutions?
3. Professional Background (2 points)
- Does the applicant or the invited participating person from India have necessary academic and or research background related to the topic of the event that he/she proposing to attend?
4. Contribution to promoting/building academic linkages between India-Canada (4 points)
- How the proposed event will contribute to promoting/building academic linkages between India-Canada?
Disbursement of Funds:
- Subject to availability of funding, selected SSTSG awardees will be reimbursed with approved travel grant to use for scholarly travel w.e.f. 15 November 2016 to 30 September 2017.
- However, the SSTSG fund will be released to the scholar only upon receipt and acceptance of the final report by the Institute, following completion of the scholar’s proposed visit.
15 October 2016 (Closed)
Please note the following points:
- Late and incomplete applications will not be considered.
- SICI takes no responsibility for missing applications or materials sent by mail, post, electronic or via courier.
- If you have not received an acknowledgement re your application within 2 business days upon completion of application submission deadline, please contact with Mahmuda Aldeen at the Calgary office via email.
Print this page
Program and Member Relations Officer
Shastri Indo Canadian Institute
1418 Education Tower
2500 University Dr NW
Calgary AB T2N 1N4
Tel: 403 220 3220 (work)
Seeing the forest, the Trees and the People